Some little known Thanksgiving facts:
Did you know...
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird, not the eagle
- The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade began in 1924 with 400 employees marching from Convent Ave to 145th street in New York City. No large balloons were at this parade, as it featured only live animals from Central Park Zoo.
- Thanksgiving is the reason for TV dinners! In 1953, Swanson had so much extra turkey (260 tons) that a salesman told them they should package it onto aluminum trays with other sides like sweet potatoes — and the first TV dinner was born!
- In 1939 President Franklin D Roosevelt moved Thanksgiving one week earlier than normal to help bolster retail sales during the great depression.
- Campbell's soup created green bean casserole for an annual cookbook 50 years ago. It now sells $20 million worth of cream of mushroom soup.